Saturday, January 7, 2012

More changes!

A couple of weeks after we got the boys, Z started having weekend visits with his dad. DCS had wanted to immediately place him with his dad, but because of a minor blip on his criminal check, it was delayed. Z was excited to go to his dad's and his dad was pretty excited to see him that first time. It was a reaction like I had expected, and that was reassuring. The visits seemed to be going pretty well. Z started going every weekend until DCS was able to grant temporary custody to the dad. It ended up taking about 6 or 7 weeks. I was happy for Z and his dad when we found out Z was going to get to go for good. But, I was worried that I would be upset once the time came for Z to leave since we probably wouldn't see him much, if any, from that point on. But, Nathan took the day off and took Addison and Z to the zoo for the day. I put together a photo album with pictures of our times together, along with some pictures of G. We got all Z's clothes and toys together and reminded him several times that this weekend when he went to his dad's he would be able to stay and not come back to our house.

We dropped him off with his dad and said our goodbyes. It went so smoothly and as we drove away, I still felt good about things. Taking care of Z Had been challenging at times, for sure, but it still had been a good experience. The thing that made it all ok was the fact that I knew his dad wanted him and was going to do his best to take care of him.

I saw Z just a week later when his grandma brought him, and I brought G to visit with their mom. He still looked happy and his grandma reassured me things were still going well. Her and I talked for the entire visit time. She thanked me several times for taking such good care of Z. She told me he was like a new child now and she attributed that to his time with us. That was a great thing to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment