Thursday, June 7, 2012

Whoa! I want off for a few minutes!!

This foster care roller coaster has been on over drive lately and it's getting a bit old. I talked to W's caseworker yesterday and she let me know she is still planning to place W with his aunt (the dad's sister).  She wants the aunt to start coming to visits when he visits with his mom so a bond can be formed between W and his aunt.  After two weeks, she wants the aunt to start her own visits and reduce the time and frequency of the mom's visits so W can transition into his aunt's home.  The caseworker expects W could be with his aunt full time within 6 weeks to two months tops.  I'm not sure how I feel about this plan, but my opinion doesn't pull any weight in these things, so it doesn't matter how I feel really.  

Then I talked to the CASA and she told me she wasn't comfortable with the aunt.  She felt like if the aunt truly wanted W, she would have found a way to be involved in this process.  Really, she hasn't expressed she wants W since the judge said no at the very beginning.  Plus, there is the issue of her age.  She is into her 60's and taking on a baby to raise on her own could be too much for her. 

So, as of yesterday, I was pretty sure W would be going to his aunt's soon.  Because, ultimately, it comes down to what the caseworker believes is best even though the CASA disagrees.   But, with the judge on this case, who knows.  He changed the plan to termination at the last hearing without the caseworker recommending it.  So who knows.

Then another roller coaster ride came along.  The CASA called me to let me know the meeting with the dad didn't happen yesterday because he wasn't able to "figure out the bus schedule" to get there.  But she is submitting a request to the court that visits between W and his dad never happen.  She also wanted to tell me she is submitting her report which says her recommendation is for W to be adopted by us.  I was pretty excited to hear that.  Again, her report is just a recommendation, but still. 

I was about to call Nathan to relay this to him when my phone rang again.  It was the CASA again.  She had just gotten an email from the caseworker saying a family member had come forward and said they are interested in having W.  This is a family member from the dad's side.  They live about 2 hours away.  The man works in law enforcement and I don't know about the lady. 

Geese, couldn't we have an hour on the same path before someone threw the switch on the tracks?! 

The CASA apologized for giving me two completely different scenarios in such a short time.  I was a bit taken aback by this new development, but its not something she needed to apologize about.   I told her we knew this was an uncertain road we were traveling.  And, yes, we would love to adopt W.  We love him already and he has been a part of our family since he was a tiny baby.  But because we love him, we want what is best for him.  Until I know more about this new family, being with us is what I feel is best.  But who knows, this family may be great.  The fact that the man is a police officer makes me feel better.  I have worried that the aunt wouldn't be able to keep W safe if the dad came by and decided he was taking him. 

So, now we have no idea what to expect from this whole situation.   Maybe we will know more tomorrow.  Or maybe tomorrow will bring something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment