Monday, June 4, 2012

Feeling the stress!

I have said several times how foster care is so unpredictable and never goes how we expect. Today was no exception!
We have had W with us for more than 10 months now.  Throughout this entire time, everything has been about his mom and whether she can take care him.  --Which has been a roller coaster in itself-- But the dad has not been discussed much because its cut and dry with him, he broke four of W's ribs at two different times, has a violent history, and he has been in jail and not around to be on anyone's radar.  Well, he was released from prison last week.  The caseworker contacted him and he said over and over he is "willing to do whatever it takes to get his son".  Because he said that, DCS is obligated to offer him services.

Services can include anger management classes, parenting classes, counseling, and/or visitation. Visitation is the one that's getting me. How can anyone allow this man to visit with any child, let alone W.  I don't know that visits will happen but it is a possibility.

I just got off the phone with the CASA and she's strongly against visits. She also feels vists with the mom need to be greatly reduced.  She also doesn't feel like the aunt is the best place for W either.  --Basically, she feels like this case has gone on long enough, the parents have already proved they aren't parent material, and W needs to be in a good permanent home ASAP.  I have to say I agree with her.  I am so thankful for CASAs! 

So, we still know nothing.  W could be starting visits with his dad.  Visits with mom could be reduced.  Placement with the aunt may or may not still be on the table.  I don't know!  Frustrating!

With all of this uncertainty with W, I can't help but question things with Z.  I just can't imagine him leaving, but his case could still drag on for quite a while.  His mom is a pretty good actor and can really lay on the act when she knows it counts.  It scares me that she will do just enough that the judge may keep things going for a long time.  I know there is a case in the county that is fairly similar to Z's that is more than two years into it.  We are just over a year.  I can't imagine this going on another year.  Not just for my sanity (which would be in jeopardy!) But for Z's wellbeing.   Every week that goes by with another visit is one more obstacle he has to overcome.  Frustrating!

Its times like tonight that makes me look forward to us being able to cross the "foster" out of the title of this blog for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment